Related Areas of Law:
- United States Bankruptcy Court: District of Oregon - Information for debtors, including tips on preparing and filing your documents, and what happens after you file.
- Oregon State Bar Association: Bankruptcy and Debt - Basic information about bankruptcy in Oregon. The Oregon State Bar Association also has free recorded information about bankruptcy, which can be accessed through their Tel-Law system at: 503.620.3000, or 1.800.452.4776.
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon: Bankruptcy Information - A plethora of informational materials about bankruptcy provided by Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO). LASO also holds a free bankruptcy clinic monthly, on Tuesday evenings, and their Multnomah County Office can be reached at: 503.224.4086, or 1.888.610.8764 for more information.
Tax Preparation and Questions:
- Lewis & Clark Small Business Legal Clinic - "Provides business transactional legal advice to new and emerging businesses, primarily those owned by women, minorities, and recent immigrants."
- Annual free credit report
- Oregon Insurance Division Consumer Information and Complaints - Free consumer advocacy line, and information/instructions regarding the complaint process for problems with all types of insurance (health insurance, life insurance, auto insurance, & rental/homeowner insurance) in Oregon. Also collects and provides statistics regarding complaints against various insurance companies.
- State of Oregon Probate and Estates - Free information about wills and trusts.
- Fair Housing Council of Oregon - "A nonprofit civil rights organization driven to eliminate illegal housing discrimination through enforcement and education across Oregon and southwest Washington."
US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - "The Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) administers and enforces federal laws and establishes policies that make sure all Americans have equal access to the housing of their choice." This website contains a great deal of information about housing discrimination and complaints processes, as well as contact information for their local office.
Bureau of Labor Industries - BOLI's mission is to "protect the rights of workers and citizens to equal, non-discriminatory treatment through the enforcement of anti-discrimination laws that apply to workplaces, housing and public accommodations. Encourage and enforce compliance with state wages and hour laws and terms and conditions of employment. Educate and train employers to understand and comply with both wage and hour and civil rights law. Promote the development of a highly skilled, competitive workforce in Oregon through apprenticeship programs and partnerships with business, government, labor and educational institutions." A complaint may be filed with BOLI if you feel you have experienced discrimination in the rental, sale, or lease of property.
- Community Alliance of Tenants (CAT) - "The Community Alliance of Tenants (CAT) is Oregon’s only statewide, grassroots, tenant-controlled, tenant-rights organization. CAT educates, organizes and develops the leadership of low-income tenants to directly challenge unjust housing policies and practices." The website contains a wealth of renters' rights information, and CAT has a renter's rights hotline at: (503) 288-0130 to answer questions.
Renters and Foreclosure:
- NOLO Press Article - "Renters in Foreclosure: What are Their Rights?"
Other General Landlord-Tenant Law Resources:
- Oregon Revised Statutes Chapter 90 - Residential Landlord-Tenant Laws of Oregon.
- OregonLawHelp.org - Free legal resource website managed by Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO) containing information about a wide-range of housing issues, including: getting back your security deposit, moving out and wrongful eviction, and retaliation and wrongful entry by landlords. LASO's Portland Regional Office can be contacted at 503.224.4086. LASO has a Multnomah County Housing Hotline Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. at 503.295.2237.
- NOLO Press Renters' & Tenants' Rights Page - Contains a great deal of general information about a variety of issues facing renters and tenants.